Campus Advisory Access the latest updates, FAQs, and resources for the Adelphi community on the global coronavirus pandemic. » COVID-19 Updates

Coronavirus Updates on Operations: Department or campus operations may be modified during this time. Please call or email the department for more information or visit

Transfer to Our School of Social Work 

Good choice—we’re a highly ranked program.

We’ve spent more than 60 years working diligently to advance the field of social work. Our undergraduate program prepares you for a generalist social work practice in the complex and varied social welfare and human services fields.

As a transfer student, you must submit your application to the Office of University Admissions at Adelphi University. They’ll decide whether you need additional general education courses before applying to the School of Social Work. Though freshmen and sophomore transfers may declare social work as their major, the social work program actually begins during your junior year. You apply during the spring semester of your sophomore year, following the advice of the program director and your faculty adviser.

» Apply now

Transfer Credits

Social work courses taken at another college or university may be considered as electives if approved with a grade of C or better, but they are not accepted as an equivalent to our social work courses. Students who plan to transfer from other colleges or universities should concentrate on earning credits in the humanities—particularly language, literature and the arts—and in the natural sciences. No more than 64 credits earned at a two-year college may be transferred to Adelphi. Students planning to transfer to the ANSWER  program should contact the program director for specific information on liberal arts requirements. Any courses taken from a social work program that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education are evaluated on an individual basis to determine their equivalency to Adelphi’s social work courses. Transfer applicants may be asked to submit college bulletins, course syllabi and other relevant materials.

Transfer students must submit their application to the Office of University Admissions at Adelphi University, which will determine acceptance and evaluate the applicant’s academic record to decide which courses are acceptable and which general education courses still need to be taken.

Follow Adelphi Social Work at:   

For further information, please contact:

Office of Transfer Admissions
p – 800.ADELPHI
e –
» Request Information

Apply Now!