Gain knowledge to advance your career.
The Adelphi University Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) program focuses on the preparation necessary for an advanced professional social work practice. The degree consists of 64 credits, generally presented in two levels. The foundation curriculum establishes the knowledge, skills, values and ethics essential for all forms and levels of generalist social work practice. The advanced curriculum involves a concentration in a contemporary, direct practice. You’ll develop sophisticated clinical skills in work with individuals, small groups, families and couples.
» Find more on the M.S.W. program
» Apply now
M.S.W. Admission Requirements
Requirements for admission to the Adelphi University College of Social Work graduate programs are based on prior academic performance, values that are congruent with the social work profession, and paid and/or volunteer human service experience. Admission requirements include:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a strong background in the liberal arts and sciences
- Personal characteristics and qualifications related to successful professional performance consonant with the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics*
- A minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA on a four-point scale
- Paid or volunteer experience in the human services preferred
- A TOEFL score of 585 for international students
- An interview, at the discretion of the School’s Admissions Committee
- Three reference letters—preferably from supervisors in social agencies, college faculty or other non-relatives who are equipped to evaluate your readiness for graduate study
- All college transcripts
- A personal statement of how your interest in social work developed, including life experiences that influenced this choice
*Please note: The NASW Code of Ethics is available online at socialworkers.org/pubs/codenew/code/asp.
Advanced Standing Program Applicants
Advanced Standing program applicants must also submit evidence of the following:
- An undergraduate degree from a CSWE-accredited social work program within the past five years
- Grades of B or better in all social work courses*
*In some cases, additional courses may be required.
For further information, please contact:
Office of University Admissions
p – 800.ADELPHI
» Request Information